Posts Tagged ‘iPhone’

Unemployed claimants will be required to use a new government job search website and face benefit sanctions if it shows they are not trying to find work.

The work and pensions secretary, Iain Duncan Smith, has hailed the Universal Jobmatch scheme – which will operate in England, Scotland and Wales – as a brilliant revolution in the labour market. It has already started nationwide on a trial basis. The website was developed by the commercial job search firm Monster UK,.

scheme will operate in England, Scotland and Wales.Currently jJobcentres currently only require unemployed people to look for jobs three times a week, but that requirement is likely to increase now it will be considered easier to seek work.

So far, 370,000 companies and 690,000 jobseekers have signed up, and 425,000 jobseekers have already voluntarily given permission for their jobcentre adviser to access their profile, a way of increasing the advice they get on issues such as the preparation of CVs.

Duncan Smith said it would be mandatory for jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) claimants to use the site from early in the new year, but no JSA claimant would be required to allow their jobcentre adviser to see any of their activity on the site.

The website can automatically alert jobseekers to appropriate vacancies in their area.

The service will not just be open to claimants, but also to those in work, a vital requirement for universal credit, the new integrated benefits system due to be launched in the autumn of next year.

Employers can log on to locate jobseekers in their area and obtain scores that take into account the jobseeker’s appropriate experience, distance of residence from workplace, skills, and willingness to relocate.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) work services director, Neil Couling, said: “This is the biggest game-changer in the labour market in 27 years. It changes jobseeking from a passive, slow process to one that is dynamic, fast and 24/7.”

Since last month’s launch of the scheme, 160m job searches have been made. The scheme is expected to manage more than 10,500 new vacancies and 1m-plus job searches each working day by next August, nearly 80% of the total DWP caseload.

There are no plans at present to require claimants on employment and support allowance to use the system, which will be available to those without a computer in libraries and jobcentres.

The Universal Jobmatch website has been criticised by some who fear it will be used as a means of identifying and sanctioning those not seeking work, or could lead to breaches of privacy. There are also claims that the scheme will be vulnerable to sabotage, as bogus jobs or jobseekers are put on the site.

Duncan Smith said only 6,000 jobs had been blocked off the site as inappropriate and 27 bogus employers removed since the launch of the scheme. He said the scheme would be especially helpful in industries with high labour turnover, such as care services.

Duncan Smith said the schemewould free jobcentre advisers to spend more time with jobseekers that needed intensive help.

The site has a dropdown menu requiring jobseekers to explain why they have not applied for a job and are offered a range of reasons including, “job does not match my interests; is not in my desired industry; does not match my skills; is below my salary requirements; is too far away from my home; have already applied for the job; does not interest me”.

Duncan Smith said: “Jobseekers will be able to turn down jobs, but if the adviser thinks they are pretty specious reasons, he may call you in and say, ‘We think you should be applying for these jobs’.”

Advertisements

google-map-logoThe new Google Maps application for the iPhone became the most downloaded free item in Apple‘s App Store on Thursday, just hours after its launch.

The long-awaited app launched in the early hours of Thursday morning, finally bringing relief to the millions of iPhone users forced to rely on Apple’s own much-maligned mapping system.

The popularity of Google Maps provided an insight into the unpopularity of Apple’s own attempt at providing a map service. Its launch came after Apple ditched its partnership with Google ahead of the launch of iOS6, the most recently launched operating system for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

“People around the world have been asking for Google Maps on iPhone,” wrote Daniel Graf, director of Google Maps for Mobile in a thinly veiled dig at Apple’s own geographical travails.

“Starting today, we’re pleased to announce that Google Maps is here – rolling out across the world in the Apple App Store. It’s designed from the ground up to combine the comprehensiveness and accuracy of Google Maps with an interface that makes finding what you’re looking for faster and easier.”

Early reviews of Google Maps were overwhelmingly positive. The New York Times described it as “free, fast and fantastic,” concluding that “Google Maps for iPhone is an astonishingly powerful, accurate, beautiful tool”.

The Next Web said the new tool was “pleasantly responsive and feature-rich,” although noted “a few rough spots that suggest it’s been rushed ahead to market”.

The early response to Google Maps is in stark contrast for the widespread despair provoked by Apple’s own attempt at building a mapping system.

Users reported that railway stations had been imagined, the Sears Tower in Chicago had been mislabelled, Paddington Station in London had ceased to exist and searches for ‘London’ directed UK iPhone users to the Canadian London in Ontario, rather than Britain’s teeming metropolis.

Google Maps had been an inbuilt part of the iOS operating system until this year’s update. Apple decided not to renew its licence with Google, reportedly frustrated that Google had refused to allow it access to its voice-directed turn-by-turn navigation and vector graphics for mapping.

(Reuters) – Apple Inc has asked for a court order for a permanent U.S. sales ban on Samsung Electronics products alleged to have violated its patents along with additional damages of $707 million on top of the billion-dollar verdict won by the iPhone maker last month.

Samsung has responded by asking for a new trial.

The world’s top two smartphone makers are locked in patent battles in 10 countries as they vie for top spot in the lucrative, fast-growing market.

Apple scored a legal victory over Samsung in late August when a U.S. jury found that the Korean firm had copied critical features of the iPhone and awarded the U.S. firm $1.05 billion in damages.

In a motion filed late Friday U.S. time, Apple sought a further $400 million damage award for design infringement by Samsung; $135 million for willful infringement of its utility patents; $121 million in supplemental damages based on Samsung’s product sales not covered in the jury’s deliberation; and $50 million of prejudgment interest on damages through December 31. The requests together come to $707 million.

Apple wants the injunction to cover “any of the infringing products or any other product with a feature or features not more than colorably different from any of the infringing feature or features in any of the Infringing Products.”

Such a wide-ranging sales ban could result in the extension of the injunction to cover Samsung’s brand-new Galaxy S III smartphone.

RECTANGLES WITH ROUNDED CORNERS’

Samsung, in a filing to the U.S. court, asked for a new trial to be held.

“The Court’s constraints on trial time, witnesses and exhibits were unprecedented for a patent case of this complexity and magnitude, and prevented Samsung from presenting a full and fair case in response to Apple’s many claims,” Samsung said.

“Samsung therefore respectfully requests that the Court grant a new trial enabling adequate time and even-handed treatment of the parties.”

In a separate statement, Samsung lamented the fact that patent rulings should cover issues such as the shape of the product in addition to technological points.

“It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies,” it said.

The Korean firm earlier this week said it plans to add Apple’s new iPhone 5 to the existing U.S. patent lawsuits, stepping up its legal challenge as the two companies seek to assert rights to key technologies.

Apple said it wanted the court to award it damages that reflect “a rational and fair effort to address Samsung’s willful misconduct that has and will impose lasting harm on Apple.”

The Korean firm was the world’s top smartphone maker in the second quarter of this year, shipping more than 50 million phones, nearly double Apple’s 26 million iPhone shipments.

Both companies are raising their marketing spending to promote their latest products ahead of the year-end shopping season.

(Reporting by Miyoung Kim and Sung-won Shim; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

My thoughts – Is it just me or did Apple leave Samsung alone till they started losing market share

OR did Steve Jobs leave the lawsuit in his will – you know next to the DESTROY ANDROID memo ?

A lot like Tony Blair did when he wandered off into the sunset . . .  ; )

article reblogged from

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/22/us-apple-samsung-idUSBRE88L04B20120922?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Posted: September 22, 2012 in Uncategorized
Tags:

A thief stole more than 250 iPhone 5s today before the device even went on sale.

Mobile phone shop worker Usman Sethi, 23, is accused of taking 252 of the mobiles – worth up to £170,000 – plus a wad of cash.

Police are tonight hunting for the Pakistani national who is believed to be driving a grey Ford Mondeo.

Ports and airports had been put on alert amid fears that the suspect may try and flee the country.

He is accused of stealing the iPhone 5s from the store where he works in Wimbledon, south London, at 1.30am – six and a half hours before they were due to go on sale.

The O2 store in Wimbledon took delivery of the phones ahead of their official release in the early hours but they were taken a short while after.

Article taken from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206701/iPhone-5-thief-Man-stole-250-Apple-phones-device-went-sale.html#ixzz279HOxPTX

 

Considerring the hype surrounding these bloody phones I can’t believe they were not a little more vigilant ! I’m pretty sure 250 or so Iphones would take a good few trips back and forth to his car ?